About ALCO Designs:
ALCO Designs is a manufacturer of merchandising displays catering mainly, but not exclusively, to the supermarket industry. We are based in Gardena, CA, and our display solutions are manufactured on-site and overseas from various materials, including plastic, wood, and steel.
ALCO Designs is seeking an Assistant Buyer to join our team. We are looking for someone with excellent analytical skills, motivated to learn and grow in the manufacturing industry. We value someone who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment that can support the organization's continued success. The Assistant Buyer will ensure all domestic and international procurement activities are executed promptly, correctly, and cost-effectively.
- Buy merchandise or commodities for resale to wholesale or retail consumers.
- Negotiate prices, discount terms, or transportation arrangements with suppliers.
- Examine, select, order, or purchase merchandise consistent with quality, quantity, specification requirements, or other factors, such as environmental soundness.
- Recommend mark-up rates, mark-down rates, or merchandise selling prices.
- Obtain information about customer needs or preferences by conferring with sales or purchasing personnel.
- Authorize payment of invoices or return of merchandise.
- Monitor and analyze sales records, trends, or economic conditions to anticipate consumer buying patterns, company sales, and needed inventory.
- Collaborate with vendors to obtain or develop desired products.
- Inspect merchandise or products to determine quality, value, or yield.
- Monitor competitors' sales activities by following their advertisements in newspapers or other media.
- Accounting software — Intuit QuickBooks.
- Electronic mail software — Email software; Microsoft Outlook.
- Internet browser software — Microsoft Internet Explorer; Web browser software.
- Inventory management software — Inventory control systems.
- Materials requirements planning logistics and supply chain software
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel.
- Word processing software — Microsoft Word.
- Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates — Providing information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
- Analyzing Data or Information — Identifying the underlying principles, reasons, or facts of information by breaking down information or data into separate parts.
- Thinking Creatively — Developing, designing, or creating new applications, ideas, relationships, systems, or products, including artistic contributions.
Detailed Work Activities:
- Purchase stocks of merchandise or supplies.
- Negotiate contracts with clients or service providers.
- Discuss business strategies, practices, or policies with managers.
- Purchase products or services.
- Electronic Mail — 100% responded “Every day.”
- Indoors, Environmentally Controlled — 100% responded “Every day.”
- Telephone — 100% responded “Every day.”
- Contact With Others — 89% responded “Constant contact with others.”
- Face-to-Face Discussions — 82% responded “Every day.”
- Time Pressure — 44% responded “Once a week or more but not every day.”
- Negotiation — Bringing others together and trying to reconcile differences.
- Active Listening — Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking — Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- Persuasion — Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Speaking — Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Learning — Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Judgment and Decision Making — Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Complex Problem Solving — Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Coordination — Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Monitoring — Monitoring/Assessing the performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Time Management — Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Writing — Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- English Language — Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar
- Spanish Language — is a plus.
- Administration and Management — Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Computers and Electronics — Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or equivalent experience.
- Oral Comprehension — The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Written Comprehension — The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Speech Clarity — The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you.
- Number Facility — The ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly and correctly.
- Written Expression — The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
- Independence — Occupations that satisfy this work value allow employees to work on their own and make decisions. Corresponding needs are Creativity, Responsibility, and Autonomy.
- Achievement — Occupations that satisfy this work value are results oriented and allow employees to use their strongest abilities, giving them a feeling of accomplishment. Corresponding needs are Ability Utilization and Achievement.
- Relationships — Occupations that satisfy this work value allow employees to provide service to others and work with co-workers in a friendly non-competitive environment. Corresponding needs are Co-workers, Moral Values, and Social Service.
- Adaptability/Flexibility — The job requires being open to change (positive or negative) and to considerable variety in the workplace.
- Dependability — The job requires being reliable, responsible, dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
- Stress Tolerance — The job requires accepting criticism and dealing calmly and effectively with high-stress situations.
- Leadership — The job requires a willingness to lead, take charge, and offer opinions and direction.
- Innovation — The job requires creativity and alternative thinking to develop new ideas for and answers to work-related problems.
- Day Shift
- 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
- $26.00 - $31.00 per hour
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Statement:
ALCO Designs is an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive company culture, and your team does not discriminate against candidates and employees because of their disability, sex, race, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, veteran status, or any other protected status under the law.